The Public Attorney is the organ responsible for exercising legal advocacy, special projects, programs, execution units and government agencies assigned the Ministry of Culture, under the Constitution and the rules of the System of Legal Defense of the State.
It has the following functions:
- Legally represent and defend the rights and interests of the Ministry , special projects and programs, implementing units and affiliated government agencies, with the National Police , prosecutors , the judiciary , the Constitutional Court , Public Bodies , the Arbitral Tribunal, Centers Conciliation and others of a similar nature in which the Ministry is part .
- Advise senior management on matters within its competence.
- Coordinate with public sector authorities , matters relating to the defense of the rights and interests of the Ministry , special projects and programs, implementing units and affiliated government agencies and request such reports as it deems appropriate .
- Develop and maintain a record of court proceedings in which to intervene.
- Coordinate and supervise , as appropriate, to law firms hired to defend in court proceedings involving the Ministry , acting as defendant , plaintiff or complainant reported .
- Coordinate and inform the Council of Legal Defense of the State , when requested , on matters within its competence.
- The notification to the appropriate prosecutor for the elaboration booklets extradition or letters rogatory, as applicable , in the fight against illicit trafficking of cultural property.